Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mrs. Perfect

My Review:
I first discovered Jane Porter years ago when I happened across her book "The Frog Prince" in our library.  It made me laugh out loud so I didn't hesitate when I saw this novel of hers on deal (Christmas bookstore giftcards are amazing!!).

This is the story of Taylor Young...a woman who reminds me a little of the women we see on all the Real Housewives shows.  She is perfect...in everything thing she does...on the outside.  But on the inside, where the prying eyes of the perfect neighborhood can't see, she struggles as much as any other woman (including the RHs set) with our own past and insecurities.  So when she finds out that much of what she was trusting in was a lie, she is forced to figure out who Taylor Young really is.

I was very aware of the reality that we live in, where what you own and how you look is what defines so many in the world today...every commercial we see is about weight loss, new cars and upgraded technology these days. But as the "stuff" faded away, I related to the woman who had to realize what was really important.  As I watch her let go of the "fake" to embrace the real, I am convicted of the areas where even I get too wrapped up in the "non-important" in life.  While the ending runs a a bit on the predictable end...I actually found myself rooting for Taylor to get all that I think she deserved.

Cover Information:
As a young California girl growing up in a blue collar neighborhood, Taylor Young dreamed of being popular, beautiful, and acquiring a wardrobe to die for. Not to mention marrying a handsome, successful man and living happily ever after in a gorgeous house with three wonderful children. Now, at 36, Taylor has reached the pinnacle of her dreams, but is it all about to unravel? As the new school year approaches, Taylor prepares herself for playing the perfect alpha mom: organizing class activities, fund-raising, and chairing the school auction.
But the horror!
Her archrival, bohemian mom Marta Zinsser, is named Head Room Mom of Taylor's daughter's fifth grade class.
As tensions rise at committee meetings and school activities, the two rivals seem to be destined for a final confrontation. But as Taylor plans her next move, she is floored by a more serious blow at home-her husband has been secretly unemployed for the past six months. With her posh lifestyle crumbling, Taylor struggles to maintain her alpha image-but could Marta, who cares little about appearances, be her only true friend?

My only caution that this is not a Christian Fiction book...and while it is not a "romance novel", it does contain a bit of cursing and references to sex.

Still Reading...
Bina

1 comment:

  1. This is totally not on the book topic but I thought you might really like this blog. This is Jen and she teaches some of our Women's Bible studies at the Village. Her writing style makes me think of yours. Anyways...

    http://jenwilkin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete